I recently started adding olive oil to my coffee. Startbucks recently started offering. My doctor suggested I take fish oil a while back so those are two I added. Instead of salty chips I started eating nuts. Though they are high in calories, they are good calories as not all calories are equal.
As in most things, its not just quantitative factor but also a qualitative factor.
Not just the quantity of calories but also the quality. Makes a lot of sense to me. In the genre, I am on a quest for the right balance and harmony of diet.
If you have any experience or tips, I am all ears.
Here is something I put together to help me remember the 5 oils I gathered after some research. Yeah, I am not a doctor but in today’s content rich world its not rocket science when it comes to basics for we all are consumers and ginny pigs, at least with fundamental basic stuff like this.
Olive Oil 🫒
- Heart health: Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that help lower bad cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: The antioxidants in olive oil have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
- Skin health: Olive oil contains vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the skin from damage and premature aging.
- Digestive health: Olive oil has been linked to the promotion of healthy digestion and the prevention of digestive illnesses such as ulcers and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Weight management: Consuming olive oil as part of a balanced diet may help with weight management due to its satiating properties.
- Brain health: The healthy fats in olive oil have been shown to improve brain function and protect against cognitive decline.
- Immune system support: The antioxidants in olive oil have immune-boosting properties, helping the body to fight off infections and diseases.
Fish Oil 🐟
- Heart Health: Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are known to reduce the risk of heart disease. These fatty acids help reduce triglycerides, lower blood pressure, prevent plaque buildup, and improve the function of blood vessels.
- Brain Health: Omega-3 fatty acids are also essential for brain health. They help improve cognitive function, memory, and mood. Studies have found that fish oil supplements can help reduce the risk of depression, anxiety, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Joint Health: Fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce joint pain and stiffness associated with arthritis. It also helps improve joint mobility and flexibility.
- Skin Health: Fish oil can improve skin health by reducing inflammation, preventing acne, and improving skin elasticity. It also helps protect the skin from sun damage and premature aging.
- Eye Health: Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for eye health. They help reduce the risk of macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome. Fish oil supplements can also help improve vision in people with age-related macular degeneration.
- Pregnancy and Child Development: Fish oil is important for pregnant women as it helps promote fetal brain and eye development. It also helps reduce the risk of premature birth and low birth weight. Additionally, it helps improve cognitive function and behavior in children.
- Immune System: Fish oil can help boost the immune system by reducing inflammation and improving immune function. It also helps reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases and allergies.
Coconut Oil 🥥
- Promotes Heart Health: Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a type of saturated fat that can help improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Boosts Immune System: Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids which can help boost the immune system and fight off harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Aids Digestion: Coconut oil can help improve digestion by reducing inflammation in the gut and aiding in the absorption of nutrients.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which can help increase metabolism and reduce appetite, leading to weight loss.
- Improves Skin Health: Coconut oil can be used topically to moisturize and nourish the skin. It can also help reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Strengthens Hair: Coconut oil can help nourish and strengthen hair by penetrating the hair shaft and reducing protein loss.
- Fights Inflammation: Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce inflammation throughout the body, including in the joints and muscles.
- Improves Brain Function: The MCTs in coconut oil can help improve brain function and memory, making it an effective treatment for Alzheimer’s disease and other cognitive disorders.
Avocado Oil 🥑
- High in healthy fats: Avocado oil is rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which are considered healthy fats that can improve heart health and reduce inflammation.
- Antioxidant properties: Avocado oil is rich in antioxidants such as vitamin E, which can help protect the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- May improve skin health: Avocado oil can help improve skin health by moisturizing and nourishing the skin, reducing inflammation, and promoting wound healing.
- May lower cholesterol levels: The healthy fats in avocado oil have been shown to help lower LDL cholesterol levels and increase HDL cholesterol levels.
- May improve joint health: Avocado oil contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, which may help reduce joint pain and stiffness.
- Versatile cooking oil: Avocado oil has a high smoke point, making it a great choice for high-heat cooking methods such as frying, grilling, and roasting.
- May aid in weight loss: The healthy fats in avocado oil may help promote satiety, reduce appetite, and aid in weight loss.
- May improve digestion: Avocado oil contains fiber and other compounds that can help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Flaxseed oil is a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid that is important for maintaining a healthy heart and reducing inflammation.
- Promotes Digestive Health: Flaxseed oil is an excellent source of fiber, which can help promote digestive health and relieve constipation.
- Supports Skin Health: Flaxseed oil is rich in antioxidants and is known for its ability to help protect the skin against damage from free radicals.
- May Help Reduce Inflammation: The omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to help reduce inflammation in the body, which may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, and cancer.
- May Help Lower Cholesterol: Studies have shown that flaxseed oil may help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels in the body, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May Help Improve Brain Function: The omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil may help improve brain function and reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults.
- May Help Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Flaxseed oil contains lignans, which are plant compounds that have been shown to have anti-cancer properties and may help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
Other notable seed and nut oils 🌰
- Chia seed oil – also high in omega-3 fatty acids, as well as antioxidants and fiber.
- Pumpkin seed oil – contains antioxidants and is a good source of vitamin E and zinc.
- Sesame seed oil – rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Walnut oil – high in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Almond oil – high in monounsaturated fats and vitamin E.
- Macadamia nut oil – high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants.
It’s important to note that all oils, even healthy ones, are high in calories and should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Great article! It’s awesome to see the benefits of different oils broken down in such an informative way. Thanks for sharing!
This is very useful to keep in mind! thanks for sharing, Kirk