Keys to 31 Years of Marriage
- Hang in there – if you quit at 25 years, you’ll never make it to 31.
- Commit to the marriage – sometimes you may not feel like being committed to your mate.
- Make it a lifetime commitment, with no option for quitting. Then 31 years is a slam-dunk, if you don’t kill each other first.
- Communication is a key; spend your lifetime working on it.
- Learn each other’s love language, and gain an appreciation for your spouse’s.
- Husbands, commit to loving your wives; wives, commit to respecting your husbands.
- Recognize that your expectations may be unrealistic, and be flexible.
- Deal with difficult subjects at calm times.
- Keep humor in the marriage; it helps when dealing with difficult issues.
- Christ is the focus of a healthy marriage and of each person in the marriage. Bring every problem to Christ first, then to your spouse.
Unity – when I die to self, and you die to self, and we’re both filled with the same Holy Spirit
I think these principles will work for the next year of your marriage, and if you continue to follow them, who knows how many years you will achieve!