(ck out http://www.wallbuilders.com)
Pondering Proverbs 14:35 (Nov 14)
“A servant who deals wisely has the king’s favor,
but his wrath falls on one who acts shamefully.”
My take: Now we don’t have many kings these days but we certainly have bosses, managers, owners, and customers we deal with. The best leaders and workers are one’s who serve and look 1st as what they can give rather than get. Certainly Jesus is the pinnacle of this in action. Yet those who think and thus act shamefully reap wrath and bring upon themselves loss. As an owner of s small business, I have witnessed this more than one too many times and seeing it play out once again. Trust takes a while to establish but it can be lost in a heartbeat.
Action words: deals wisely, acts shamefully, wrath falls
Key word: favor [fey-ver]
- something done or granted out of goodwill, rather than from justice or for remuneration; a kind act:
- friendly or well-disposed regard; goodwill: to win the favor of the king.
- the state of being approved or held in regard: to be in favor at court; styles that are now in favor.
- excessive kindness or unfair partiality; preferential treatment: to treat some people with favor and others with neglect.
- a gift bestowed as a token of goodwill, kind regard, love, etc., as formerly upon a knight by his lady.
- a ribbon, badge, etc., worn in evidence of goodwill or loyalty, as by an adherent of a political party.
- a small gift or decorative or festive item, as a noisemaker or paper hat, often distributed to guests at a party.
My prayer: Lord, lets us look to you for the best example of a servant lifestyle. I thank you for your longsuffering and tremendous grace. Help me to make the most of my time, talent and treasure so that You find room for favor and avoid dispensing wrath.
Pondering Proverbs 6:30 — Pro 6:31
“People do not despise a thief if he steals
to satisfy his appetite when he is hungry,
but if he is caught, he will pay sevenfold;
he will give all the goods of his house.”
My take: Here is a solid example of empathy / justice. So often society tries to force us to choose one or the other.
Action words: not despise, steal, caught, pay 7x or give all
My prayer: Help me see things from Your perspective and mix mercy and righteousness as You know best, Lord. Please keep me healthy and able to produce so that I never feel the need to steal.