Build Your House on the Rock
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
My take: Jesus shares a vivid analogy for us regarding true salvation. It demonstrates the duality of free will / sovereignty and hearing / doing. So see if this makes sense to you as it does to me. I thought it be helpful to break it down.
1) “Everyone who hears” – The Gospel is not just broadcast to the select few but to everyone is the intent and mission. However, we must tune into the Word to hear. There is a lot of noise in the world and no doubt the enemy attempts to distort. Yet the message is loud and clear, often the loudest in the midst of pain.
2) “these words of mine” – The Word is Jesus and Jesus is the Word. He is the mouth of God. Again, in the midst all the noise we need to tune in to the Bible ans His message. We, His sheep, hear and know our Shepard’s voice.
3) “and does them” – Not perfectly or nor always well but simply “a doer”. Is our intent to make Him proud and to remain obedient? As James said faith and works go hand in hand.
4) “will be like a wise man who built his house” – Jesus tells us in this passages there are wise and foolish people who hear and both build. To build something takes effort, it takes desire, resources and skill. He doesn’t say his house was just given to him. With that said, we could do nothing without God. Without Him there is no land, plans, lumber, supplies nor anything. We need to use what He haa graciously given and together pick a solid spot and get busy building and maintaining.
5) “on the rock.” – And He tells us the wise build on the rock of doing. A solid foundation. So He tells us both hearing (building the house) and doing (upon a firm foundation) are necessary. One of Jesus’s names is rock, the main cornerstone which it is all built upon. That isn’t part of this particular story but sure seems fitting.
Here is the whole passage: Mat 7:24 — Mat 7:27
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
My prayer: LORD, help all you read these words also ‘hear’ them and ‘do’ them. May all of our houses of salvation be built well and trust You, oh God, trusted architecht of all please guide me.